THE SHOP

March '20

Issue link: https://nbm.uberflip.com/i/1206768

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 41 of 87

36 THE SHOP MARCH 2020 36 THE SHOP MARCH 2020 company became FWD Corp. and in 1963, FWD acquired Seagrave Fire Apparatus. In 2003, it was sold to an investment group and it is now the flagship of ELB Capital Management. REMEMBERING THE PAST The neat thing about the small company is that it has preserved almost its entire history from Day 1 in the FWD Birth- place of Four Wheel Drive Museum (www. fourwheeldrivefoundation.com). And now the museum is expanding from its original location in the old Zachow & Besserdich Machine Shop in Clintonville to a nearby 60,000-square-foot factory building. It's going to be a place where any indi- vidual, shop owner, club or off-road busi- ness can visit to experience the develop- ment of 4x4 vehicles and to see historical photos and materials of FWD vehicles from the past. The Four Wheel Drive Foundation that runs the FWD Museum is a non-profit, charitable organization formed for the purpose of maintaining and expanding historical museum to house vehicles and memorabilia pertaining to the early devel- opment of the four-wheel drive principle. The foundation is always seeking dona- tions of historically significant vehicles as well as print and paper documents to archive and manage under the guidelines of the National Association of Automobile Museums. The foundation is also seeking to pre- serve historical films and to create new films and other media. Members are in the process of developing outreach programs and activities and are seeking marketing opportunities. The Foundation is a tax-exempt entity and donations are fully deductible. Dona- tions go to Four Wheel Drive Foundation, in care of John Rosenheim, CPA, Secretary, Treasurer, 79 Eighth Street, Clintonville, WI 54929. Check the foundation's website above for museum admissions and hours of opera- tion. JOHN GUNNELL has been writing about classic cars since 1972. He is also the owner of Gunner's Great Garage in Manawa, Wisconsin. He owns 11 cars and seven motorcycles. The First Overlanders A prototype 1-1/2-ton FWD is said to have been used in U.S. Army tests. Mark Thomas is behind the expansion of the FWD Museum into a larger facility in Clinton- ville, Wisconsin. This is a WWI-era U.S. Army FWD that the late Don Chew donated to the museum. The original FWD Museum will stay open, but the new building will add much-needed space. The gray Model B is a 1913 prototype and the other is a 1919 British Army truck.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of THE SHOP - March '20