Awards & Engraving

April '20

Issue link: https://nbm.uberflip.com/i/1218267

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 21 of 68

A&E APRIL 2020 • a-e-mag.com 19 Laser Engraving timeframe between parts replacement and repairs. Cleaning your lens frequently pro- vides more detailed engraving and longer lasting optics. Vacuum your laser bed and every nook and cranny of the laser at least once a year. This also allows you to inspect it for worn parts and helps you become familiar with its workings. Check your laser manual for any lubrication needs and spe- cific hidden parts that require cleaning. Clean the exhaust piping at least once a year if not more frequently. I use my slower times to do a lot of cleaning and mainte- nance. A good high-powered shop vac has provided a key role in cleaning my laser. LASER EMERGENCY REPAIR KIT This is one of my favorite topics. Call your tech support and ask them what parts wear out the most and require replacement by the user. By purchasing these items, you will save yourself the cost of overnight ship- ping, a lot of stress, and perhaps a customer or two. My kit contains the X-axis motor, encoder assembly, encoder strip, flex cable to the encoder, X-axis belt, and extra lens- cleaning fluid. The final advice I have for selecting your laser is buy one that will allow you to do 90% to 95% of the jobs you are inter- ested in obtaining. You might just find the remaining 5% to 10% of those jobs requires you to invest a large amount of money that buys you capabilities that you only have the opportunity to use a few times each year, or for jobs that you actually end up losing money on. And buy quality. We have a number of great laser manufacturers right here in North America. A&E Call Cassie Green at 720.566.7278 or email cgreen@nbm.com Get involved in editorial opportunities for A&E each month!

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of Awards & Engraving - April '20